Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Once the fire has been put out, and the smoke has cleared it is time to get things back to normal. SERVPRO of East Cobb has made a name for ourselves doing just that, making it "Like it never even happened." We are Metro Atlanata's premier fire and water restoration company, with the name people have grown to know and trust nationwide. From fire and water damage to even mold remediation and bio-hazard cleanup, SERVPRO of East Cobb is faster to any size disaster. If you have experienced a fire loss and are awaiting SERVPRO to arrive, take a moment to quickly look over some of these tips and "Do's and Don'ts" regarding fire damage and what to do until help arrives!
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (770) 424-0400
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.