What Is Black Mold?
Black mold, commonly known as Stachybotrys chartarum, is a type of mold that produces allergens and irritants, but it's important to note that various molds can also generate similar reactions. Mold, in general, can be found virtually everywhere, both indoors and outdoors. Mold spores, which are microscopic, are present in the air and can enter properties through windows, doors, HVAC systems, or be carried indoors on clothing or pets. When exposed to water or moisture, mold spores can quickly develop into colonies, potentially producing allergens and irritants. Hence, it is crucial to address any sources of water intrusion promptly to prevent mold growth and the possibility of its return.
Determining whether it's black mold or another type isn't the most critical factor. If you suspect mold growth in your property, it's best to seek professional assistance, like SERVPRO of East Cobb, regardless of the mold's color or type. Their team can conduct a thorough inspection, assess the situation, and implement appropriate mold remediation measures. Understanding the basics of mold growth and the importance of managing indoor humidity below 45 percent can help property owners take proactive steps to prevent mold issues. By relying on expert mold remediation services, property owners can rest assured that mold-related problems are efficiently handled, promoting a safe and healthy living environment. For more information and expert assistance, reach out to SERVPRO of East Cobb at (770) 424-0400.
Learn more about mold and what to do until help arrives by visiting Mold Damage Tips.
How Do I Tell If It’s Black Mold?
Since many types of mold can cause reactions, you should contact us regardless of the color or type of mold. In many instances, multiple types of mold may exist in the same house or structure. If you suspect you have a mold problem, contact SERVPRO of East Cobb immediately.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (770) 424-0400
When water intrudes into your property, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
SERVPRO of East Cobb is locally owned and operated—so we live and work here too and are proud to be part of this community. We are also part of a national network of over 1,600 Franchises with special Disaster Recovery Teams placed strategically throughout the country to respond to large scale disasters.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- East Cobb
- Sandy Plains
- Cobb International Airport
- Mount Bethel