If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (770) 424-0400

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Seven Ways to Protect Your Cobb County Home From The Silent Killer: Carbon Monoxide

7/26/2019 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Seven Ways to Protect Your Cobb County Home From The Silent Killer: Carbon Monoxide Fire detection technology has come a long way. Make sure when you purchase a fire detector device that it also detect carbon monoxide.

Unfortunately, carbon monoxide is invisible to the naked eye. It is even more unfortunate that in high levels, carbon monoxide can kill a person in minutes. Often called the silent killer, because you can not see carbon monoxide (or CO). It is an odorless, colorless gas created when fuels like gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, and propane burn incompletely. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, each year more than 400 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning. It is estimated another 20,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized due to CO poisoning. All People and animals are at risk for CO poisoning, with some groups (including unborn babies, infants and people with chronic heart disease, anemia, or respiratory problems) being more susceptible to the effects of carbon monoxide.

When purchasing fire detectors make sure the device you choose has a carbon monoxide detection feature built in!

An excess of carbon monoxide, leading to CO poisoning, can occur due to numerous causes like faulty furnaces or other heating appliances. Portable generators, water heaters, clothes dryers and idling cars left running in garages are also common cause of CO poisoning. Taking some very basic precautionary steps will help reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in your Cobb County home. Protect yourself by reviewing the following tips provided by the United States Fire Administration.

  1. Use portable generators outdoors in well-ventilated areas away from all doors, windows, vents, and other building openings to prevent exhaust fumes from entering the home.
  2. Make sure vents for the drying, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of soot, snow, or other debris.
  3. Have fuel-burning appliances, like oil and gas furnaces , gas or kerosene heaters, fireplaces, and wood stoves inspected by a trained professional regularly (at minimum once a year).
  4. Only use barbecue grills outside, away from all doors, windows, vents and other building openings. Some grills can produce CO gas. Never use grills inside the home or the garage, even if the doors are open.
  5. Make sure all fuel-burning equipment is vented to the outside to avoid CO poisoning. Keep the venting for exhaust clear and unblocked.
  6. Open the damper for proper ventilation before using a fireplace. Never use your oven or stovetop to heat your home.
  7. If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Never run a vehicle or other fueled engine or motor indoors, even if the garage doors are open. Make sure the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle is not blocked with snow, ice, or other materials.


Should you or someone you know experiences a fire loss please don’t hesitate to contact SERVPRO of East Cobb. We are you local area SERVPRO service provider and can handle any size disaster. This means that no house fire is too big or too small for SERVPRO of East Cobb. Check out what some of our satisfied customers have had to say about us.

Other News

View Recent Posts