Water Damage Restoration - What You Need to Know
If your home or business floods call SERVPRO of East Cobb - (770) 424-0400 -
From a broken pipe to inclement weather, standing water in a home or standing water in a business can cause mayhem on possessions and the property. It is hard to be prepared with full mitigation plans, but it is very important to react as fast as possible and expect to need water damage restoration. To minimize the harm done to the home, water cleanup and water damage restoration must happen quickly. When an emergency flooding happens, it is best to seek expert help and to do so as quickly as possible. Experts will arrive with high-tech, powerful equipment that will extract the water and minimize flood damage.
It is best to seek out certified experts who are trained extensively to deal with flooding emergencies whether the water is in the home or if the water is in a business. They can also advise homeowners on how to handle mitigation of water damage while the tenants or owners wait for them to arrive. Below is a list that can help reduce flood damage and help manage fallout mitigation.
- If possible, immediately stop the water at its source to reduce the water in the home or the water in the business and speed up water cleanup.
- If it is safe to do so turn off all electricity and move all smaller electric device.
- Pin up any furniture skirts, drapes, or tapestries that hang low or have contact with the floor to avoid water damage to the fabric.
- Wash your hands after moving damaged belongings.
- As much as possible, avoid walking on carpet.
- Remove all moisture-sensitive, fragile belongings, anything of high-value, as well as items that could cause stains.
- Move any furnishings that can be moved from the carpeted area of the home or place aluminum foil underneath furniture legs. This should help mitigation of the risk of long-lasting rust caused by flood damage.
- Plan for a water damage restoration team to move furniture to already drying areas.
- Avoid any/all possibility of electric shock to any living persons and pets. Do not use any electric devices until the emergency flood removal crew tells you it is okay. Do not use a shop or home vacuum to attempt water removal on from the property without cleanup experts onsite.
- Do not turn on the heating, air conditioning, or fans in an attempt to speed the drying and cleanup process. Air movement may spread contamination if the flooding is at all sewage-related.
Powerful extraction and air movement gear is then brought into the home by expert cleanup crews to remove any presence of freestanding water. Water is then thoroughly removed from upholstery, carpet, and carpet padding. Then the drying by air movement with professional fans begins.
If flooding is particularly bad, carpet and carpet padding may be moved temporarily to assist with drying.
Water in a home can be an extremely expensive emergency if there is extensive flood damage. Water damage can be even more costly if there is water in a business that carries a large inventory. In order to prevent flood damage and water damage, it is important to contact professional cleanup crews that can speed up the drying process with water cleanup and air movement as soon as possible. The sooner water cleanup is completed water damage restoration can begin.
In the event of a home or commercial water loss please contact SERVPRO of East Cobb – (770) 424-0400 - or you can visit www.SERVPROeastcobbga.com for more information on water damage.
Mold Myth Busting 101
Call SERVPRO of East Cobb if you encounter mold damage in your home or business -(770) 424-0400-
Its name evokes images of green rot. Mold is a menacing pollutant existing naturally in the environment. But it's the last thing you want growing in your home.
Like most people, you probably know that indoor mold ruins homes and threatens health. And you might agree that the first step to eliminating mold is locating its sources.
But do you know where to look for mold? Or even that using a popular disinfectant to clean it can do more harm than good? Chances are, you've been duped by these mold myths that should be laid to rest:
- A Clean Home is Mold-Free.
A dirt-free home is no guarantee against mold infestation. Mold thrives in closets, dark corners, and drywall, a common construction material in homes today. Its microscopic spores sail through the air, so you can't see them or know where they land.
- Your home has no moldy odors.
It's true that gasses produced by mold give off a musty odor. But it's false to assume that having no odor means your home isn't infested. Not all molds produce smells. And if mold is lurking in a basement, its smell doesn't enter the air you normally breathe. It's there, and you never knew it.
- Your home's basement never floods.
Wet basements are a major source of mold. But they're just one of many in your home. Other mainsprings for mold are humidifiers, leaky pipes, dryers that vent indoors, bathrooms and cooking areas that aren't ventilated, even carpets in a basement.
A powerful disinfectant, bleach wipes away mold on glass, metal, or plastic surfaces. But while its chlorine component doesn't penetrate to the sources of mold in drywall and wood, the water contained in bleach does. And--you guessed it--that water lingers beneath the surfaces, providing more than enough food for mold to grow.
If you have more questions about mold damage or have mold damage, please don’t hesitate to call SERVPRO of East Cobb today - (770) 424-0400!
Understanding Water Types
SERVPRO of East Cobb "Like it never even happened." (770) 424-0400
When your home or business suffers a water damage, understanding what type of water you are dealing with is critical to ensuring proper cleanup.
There are three types of water. Clean water is water from a broken pipe, or other water source; rainwater is also considered clean. The term gray water is used to classify slightly contaminated water. Clean water becomes gray water when it is left untreated allowing bacteria and other contaminants to begin growing, making the water hazardous. Black water is highly contaminated and filled with fungi, bacteria, chemicals and more. Black water is typically caused by sewage damage, flooding or any type of natural disaster. Black water should always be handled by trained professionals.
Consider taking the following precautions to help minimize damage or prevent further damage while waiting for help to arrive.
Damage from Clean Water
- Shut off the wate source if possible or contact a qualified professional to do so.
- Turn off circuit breakers for wet areas of the building if access to the power distribuion panel is safe from potential electrical shock. Do not enter rooms with standing water, as electrical shock hazards may exist.
- Remove as much excess water as possible by mopping and blotting. Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop up wet upholstery cushions to allow more even drying.
- Move any paintings, art objects, computers, documents and other valuable items that may be sensitive to moisture to a safe place.
- Do not leave books, newspapers, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors as they may cause staining.
- Do not use your household vacuum cleaner to remove water as there is potential for electrical shock or causing damage to the vacuum cleaner.
- Do not turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet; do not enter rooms where ceilings are sagging from retained water.
Damage from Contaminated Water
- Avoid all contact with sewage and items contaminated by sewage. Wash your hands thoroughly if you come in contact with contaminated items.
- Do not walk through contaminated areas, as you could spread damage to unaffected areas.
- Do not turn on the HVAC system if there is a possibility of spreading contaminated air.
- Do not use household fans to dry the structure;air flow could spread contaminants.
- Discard any food and/or products for personal hygiene and cleanliness if exposed to the contaminated areas.
When you have a water damage, don't leave your property to chance. Call SERVPRO of East Cobb (770) 424-0400
The Mold Mitigation & Remediation Process
Call SERVPRO of East Cobb for mold remediation!
When there’s a water intrusion, like a roof leak or leaking water line, mold can quickly become a problem in your home or business. Mold can affect your health and can also cause significant damage to your property. Fortunately, SERVPRO of East Cobb professionals have the training, protective gear, and specialized equipment necessary to handle your mold problem. Although every mold damage scenario is different, requiring a unique solution, the general mold remediation process stays the same. The following steps illustrate a “typical” mold removal process.
The mold cleanup and restoration process begins when you call SERVPRO of East Cobb. A representative will ask a series of questions to help determine the necessary equipment, resources, and personnel needed.
- Inspection & Damage Assessment
Your property will be carefully inspected for signs of mold using technology designed to detect mold and hidden water sources. Mold feeds on cellulose and water which can be hidden from plain view.
Various containment procedures will be placed to prevent the spread of mold and isolate the contaminated area with physical barriers and negative air pressure to keep the mold spores from spreading during the cleanup process.
Specialized filtration equipment captures microscopic mold spores out of the air. SERVPRO® technicians utilize powerful air scrubbers and HEPA vacuums to prevent the spread of these mold spores while the mold remediation is in progress.
- Removing Mold & Mold-Infested Materials
The mold remediation process depends on the amount of mold growth and the types of surfaces on which the mold appears. Antifungal and antimicrobial treatments will be used to eliminate mold colonies and help prevent new colonies from forming. Removing and disposing of mold-infested porous materials, like drywall and flooring, may be necessary to remediate heavy mold growth.
- Cleaning Contents & Belongings
SERVPRO of East Cobb professionals clean your furniture, decorative items, curtains, and other restorable items affected by mold. They use a variety of cleaning techniques to clean and sanitize your belongings. They are also trained to remove odors and deodorize using fogging equipment.
Depending on the level of mold damage, drywall, subfloors, and other building materials may be removed. Restoration may involve minor repairs, such as replacing drywall, painting, and installing new carpet, or it may entail major repairs such as the reconstruction of various areas or rooms in a home or business.
SERVPRO of East Cobb professionals understand mold and mold growth and have the training and equipment to remediate mold in your home or business.
Do You Have Dirty Ducts?
Improve your indoor air quality with duct cleaning!
Did you know your ventilation system is often the biggest culprit in poor indoor air quality? In most cases, the HVAC system has been operating for some time without much attention. Dirty ducts can circulate odors, contaminants such as mold, and irritating dust throughout your building or home. A routine part of SERVPRO of East Cobb’s service is inspecting the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning unit (HVAC). Keeping the HVAC and ductwork clean can potentially extend the life-span of the equipment by allowing it to operate at peak condition, which may help save you money. Duct cleaning may not always be necessary.
In some circumstances, such as after a fire, smoke, or suspected mold growth, duct cleaning becomes an essential part of the cleanup process. In these cases, SERVPRO of East Cobb can often restore the HVAC system and ductwork to pre-damage condition.
If you have a fuel-burning furnace, stove, or fireplace, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends they be inspected for proper functioning and be serviced before each heating season to protect against carbon monoxide poisoning.
The SERVPRO® Duct Cleaning System is proven and cost-efficient. Unlike the majority of duct cleaning services, SERVPRO of East Cobb uses a portable ventilation and air duct cleaning system to examine ductwork and make a clean sweep, removing years of dust and grime.
- The process begins by using patented equipment, including a roto-scraper, which automatically adapts to the duct’s shape and diameter while traveling through the duct, removing debris and filth before vacuuming begins.
- Next, a powerful push-pull air delivery and collection system transfers the debris from the ducting to a 16-gallon container.
- Air is filtered through a HEPA filtration system, removing 99.97 percent of the particles in the airstream. HEPA filters capture debris and keep the indoor environment clean.
- As an optional process, a sealant or coating product may be sprayed to address odor or microbial concerns.
- Filters will either be cleaned or replaced to remove odor and dirt.
For more information on duct cleaning, or to schedule an appointment, contact SERVPRO of East Cobb today. -(770) 424-0400-
Biohazard, Crime Scene, and Vandalism Cleanup
Call SERVPRO of East Cobb for 24-hour Emergency Service -(770) 424-0400-
Recognized as a leading fire and water cleanup and restoration provider by hundreds of insurance companies, SERVPRO of East Cobb also offer fast, reliable biohazard and crime scene cleanup* and restoration services to residential and commercial property owners.
Exposure to biological and chemical contaminants can pose serious health consequences for building occupants, employees, customers, and owners. A failure to properly handle and safely remove such hazardous substance scan contribute to unhealthy and even dangerous environments.
SERVPRO of East Cobb is trained to safely and effectively remove biohazardous substances and prepare waste for proper disposal according to OSHA, EPA, and state and local health regulations. Equipped with the necessary safety equipment and cleaning products, SERVPRO of East Cobb can help turn unsafe environments into clean, safe homes and offices.
SERVPRO of East Cobb can help with the following issues:
- Blood-borne Pathogens: SERVPRO of East Cobb professionals remove and dispose of bodily fluids, tissue, and other potentially pathogenic substances resulting from accident, trauma, crime, or death. Trained SERVPRO of East Cobb technicians thoroughly clean, disinfect, and deodorize the structure.
- Methamphetamine Labs: Many of the chemicals used in the production of illegal drugs such as methamphetamine are volatile and can leave harmful residues throughout a structure. SERVPRO of East Cobb professionals follow federal and state guidelines to properly clean all surfaces.
- Crime Scene Residues: From fingerprint powder and evidence-gathering chemicals to tear gas and pepper spray residues, SERVPRO East Cobb Professionals can clean and restore your property and contents.
- Arson & Vandalism: SERVPRO of East Cobb Professionals are recognized as leaders at helping property owners recover quickly from fire and water damage. Your local Franchise Professional also provides general cleaning and deodorization services for situations resulting from vandalism including graffiti, egg, spoiled foods, and human or animal waste.
- Sewage Backups
- Black Water Intrusions
- Mold Mitigation and Remediation
State and local regulations vary. Contact SERVPRO of East Cobb today for 24-hour Emergency Service. -(770) 424-0400-
Preparing for a Flood
Flooding Can happen fast in many environmets. The American Red Cross recommends having the following list of items packed and ready to go in the event of an evacuation due to flooding.
- Water - 3+ day supply; one gallon per person per day
- Food - 3+ day supply of non-parisable, easy-to=prepare food
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio (NOAA Weather Radio, if possible)
- Extra Batteries
- First Aid kit
- Medications (7-day supply) and medical items (hearing aids with extra batteries, glasses, contact lenses, syringes, cane)
- Multi-purpose tool
- Sanitation/personal hygiene items
- Copies of personal documents (medication list and pertinent medical information, deed/lease to home, birth certificates, insurance policies)
- Cell phone with chargers
- Family and emergency contact information
- Extra Cash
- Emergency blanket
- Map(s) of the area
- Baby supplies (bottles, formula, baby food, diapers)
- Pet supplies (collar, leash, ID, food, caries, bowl)
- Tools/supplies for securing your home
- Extra set of car keys and house kes
- Extra clothing, hat and sturdy shoes
- Rain gear
- Insect repelient and sunscreen
- Camera or photos of damage
According to the National Weather Service (NOAA), "Approximately seventy-five percent of all Presidential disaster declarations are associated with flooding." NOAA lists the most common flood hazzards in the United States as:
Storm Surge and Coastal
Inundation from Tropical and Non-Tropical Systems
Burn Scars/Debris Flows (caused by wildfires)
Dry Wash (caused by heavy rainfall in dry areas)
Dam Breaks/Levee Failure
Just because you haven't experienced a flood doesnt mean you won't in the future. In fact, 20% of all claims paid by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) were for policies in low-risk communities. On average, floods cost $3.5 billion in annual losses in the United States.
When catastrophic water damage happens to you SERVPRO of East Cobb can help. We can help you prepare ahead of the time with an Emergency Ready Profile (ERP), or respond to any size disaster to begin cleanup and restoration to get you back in your home as soon as possible.
SERVPRO of East Cobb is ready to help make it "Like it never even happened." -(770) 424-0400-
Faster To Your Water Damage Event
Faster to any Disaster
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of East Cobb provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of East Cobb arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Water Damage Timeline
· Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
· Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
· Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
· Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
· Drywall begins to swell and break down.
· Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
· Furniture begins to swell and crack.
· Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
· A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
· Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
· Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
· Metal begins to rust and corrode.
· Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
· Paint begins to blister.
· Wood flooring swells and warps.
· Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
· Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
· Structural safety, mold growth, and bio-hazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
Does Your House Have A Mold Issue?
SERVPRO of East Cobb's highly trained mold remediation technician.
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today -SERVPRO of East Cobb – (770) 424-0400
Flooding Can Happen Anywhere
Call the clean up team that is faster to any size disaster! - SERVPRO of East Cobb (770) 424-0400
According to the National Weather Service (NOAA), "Approximately seventy-five percent of all Presidential disaster declarations are associated with flooding." NOAA list the most common flood hazards in the United States as:
- Flash Flooding
- River Flooding
- Storm Surge an Coastal Inundation from Tropical and Non-Tropical Systems
- Burn Scars/Debris Flows (caused by wildfires)
- Ice/Debris Jams
- Dry Wash (caused by heavy rainfall in dry areas)
- Dam Breaks/Levee Failure
Just because you haven't experienced a flood doesn't mean you won't in the future. In fact, 20% of all claims paid by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) were fro policies in low-risk communities. On average, floods cost $3.5 billion in annual losses in the U.S., and commercial flood claims average more than $75,000 (NFIP).
When catastrophic water damage happens to you, SERVPRO of East Cobb can help. We can help you prepare ahead of time with an Emergency Ready Profile (ERP), or respond to any size disaster to begin cleanup and restoration to get you back in business as soon as possible.
SERVPRO of East Cobb professionals are ready to help make it "Like it never even happened."